Summit 2022 Feature
Suitcase lets you share multiple items between different Slate databases simultaneously. With this functionality, Suitcase allows you to compile and transfer all the functional elements of an entire process in one complete package. This article provides an overview of the tool and the best practices for using it efficiently.
With Suitcase, you can transfer the following items between databases:
Enabling Suitcase within the Database
Suitcase is available in test and production environments as an Early Access feature. To enable it:
- From the top navigation, select Database.
- From the Configurations section, choose Configuration Keys.
- From the Database Configuration section, select Early Access Features.
A link to access the Suitcase appears in the Import and Data Processing section of Database.
Creating a New Suitcase
Administrator (All Access)
To create a new Suitcase:
- Select Database from the main navigation, then select Suitcase under Import and Data Processing.
- Click New Suitcase.
- Enter a name. The author is set automatically to the current user logged into Slate.
Adding Items to a Suitcase
Click Add Item. A pop-up appears with two tabs, Choose Item to Add and Review Dependencies to Include. Within Choose Item to Add, the Select Item Type menu lets you select from a list. Selecting an item type generates a list of available options. Select your item directly from the list, or use the search bar to filter your results.
Selecting an item moves you automatically to the Review Dependencies to Include tab, which breaks the item you selected into its constituent parts (in this example, a form, and a follow-up communication).
Expanding the form in this example, we see the form fields and the form message that follows submission. Deselect any items you wish to exclude from the Suitcase.
Click Add Item at the bottom to add the item to Suitcase; it appears as a new item in the Items tab. Click the arrow next to its name to view the nested types contained in.
The order in which items are added to your Suitcase matters. If adding an Event and a Template to your Suitcase; make sure to add the Template before you add the associated event.
Fields and Prompts
The Fields and Prompts tabs include any field IDs and prompt names contained in the added items. Clicking the different column headings in the Fields tab toggles the sort between ascending and descending alphabetical order.
In the Prompts tab, clicking the arrow next to each prompt key displays its associated values. Click the prompt's name to open the Edit Prompt Value window, which lets you deselect any prompt items to exclude from your Suitcase.
Editing Suitcase Properties
Click the Edit button at the upper right, and a pop-up appears. In this pop-up, you can:
Sharing a Suitcase
To share a Suitcase:
- Click the Edit button in the upper right corner.
- Select the Is Shared option in the pop-up.
- This will generate the Suitcase ID.
- Copy the Suitcase ID by clicking on the copy icon.
- Share the copy of the Suitcase ID with specific individuals as needed.
The generated Suitcase ID references items contained within as they existed, either at the time they were added to the Suitcase, or the last time that the Suitcase content was updated using the Update Content button. This date is reflected in the As Of column.
Importing a Suitcase/Briefcase
To import a shared Suitcase/Briefcase:
- Select Database from the main navigation.
- From the section Import and Data Processing, select Suitcase.
- Click Import. A pop-up appears.
- In the text field, paste the Suitcase ID or Briefcase ID of the shared Suitcase/Briefcase item.
- Click Retrieve.
The imported items are added to the relevant Slate area based on the type. For example, a form item will be added to the form builder, a report in report builder, etc.
If the database where the Suitcase/Briefcase items are imported does not have a folder of the same name in the relevant tool, Slate creates a folder with that name. If necessary, the items can be refiled once imported.