With Active Scheduler, you can use a portal to create on-the-fly timeslots for specific interviews based on a schedule you define. This schedule is composed of three basic parts:
- General availability for a given timeframe (including overrides for specific days)
- Existing external appointments defined by an iCal feed shared as free or busy
- Instances of timeslots created either manually or on-the-fly through the scheduling tool in a portal
To get started with Active Scheduler:
With your new schedule created, you can go on to edit or add templates from other previously created schedules. You may also add the days and times you are available using the Regular Weekly Availability menu.
You can incorporate existing Scheduler templates into your availability schedule.
Add Scheduler Templates:
- Click Edit Templates. A popup appears.
In the popup, select any number of available templates from the list.
Click Save. The templates that have been activated for this availability schedule will appear in a list to the left of the Edit Templates link. Any portal widgets used by these templates will appear in a list below.
Remove Linked Scheduler Templates:
To add a day that you would like to display as available, select each day:
You may also add a block or blocks of available time for each day.
Add Available Time
- Select a day from the list.
- Click Add Time.
Enter a start and end time for the availability block.
- Click the to save. Or, click the to delete.
An error displays if you have selected an invalid time slot. Other errors appear for similar situations, like adding a slot with the same start and end time.
You may also click Copy Schedule to copy a day's availability and select which days you want to copy it to:
If there are certain dates on which you will have different availability or won't be available at all—for example, when on vacation or at a conference—you may set up Alternate Schedules.
Active scheduler can be displayed in a portal widget.
Add Active Scheduler to Portal Widget View
- From the top navigation, select Database.
- Select Portals.
- Select an existing portal to which you'd like to add active scheduler, or create a new one.
- Select the view you'd like to add active scheduler to, or create a new one.
From the right navigation, select New Row. Select a Row Layout with two columns.
Your end result will look like this:
- Drag a Static Content Block to the open column. A popup appears.
In the popup, give the Static Content Block a descriptive name. In this example, Timeslots.
- Click Save.
- From the right navigation, drag the Active Scheduler widget into the left column. The Edit Part popup appears.
- In the Details tab, enter the following configurations:
- Name: Give your Active Scheduler widget a name. We'll choose Advising Appointments
- Status: Active
- CSS Class Name: Leave this field blank
- In the Scheduler Selection tab, enter the following configurations:
- Page Title (optional): Enter Schedule
- Internal Name (optional): Enter an internal name, if desired
- Schedule: Select an existing schedule from the list. For this example, Admissions Interviews
- Duration: Set a length for individual appointments, between 15 minutes and 1 hour
- Start Time Frequency: Set the time interval at which users can book book appointments. In our example, meetings are 30 minutes, but users can book a meeting from, for example, 2:15-2:45 PM
- Allow Consecutive Signups: Selecting this option allows the scheduling of consecutive appointments; that is, appointments that abut one another. For example, one person could schedule a half hour session at 9:00, and another could schedule a half hour session at 9:30. Leaving this option un-selected will prevent users from scheduling sessions that run up against each other.
Note: Overlapping sessions (for example, an appointment from 8:30 to 9:00 occurring with an appointment from 8:45 to 9:15) are never allowed to be scheduled.
- Admin Notify Email: Leave this field blank
Related Records: Leave this field blank
- In the Scheduler Location tab, enter the location details of your sessions.
- In the Scheduler Display tab, enter the following configurations:
- Display Target: Set this to Add to static content: Timeslots. Here, "Timeslots" will appear as the name you gave to the Static Content Block.
- Calendar Start: Set this either to the current month, or to the first upcoming month that has events.
- Calendar Legend: Use these fields to customize the calendar as it will appear in the Active Scheduler Widget.
- Enter text into Days with availability to replace the default display text ("Available Timeslots") with something of your choosing. Use the color picker at right to change the color of days with openings on the calendar.
Enter text into Days with no availability to replace the default display text ("No Availability") with something of your choosing. Use the color picker at right to change the color of days without openings on the calendar.
See below example of modified Scheduler display settings:
- Click Save.
- Use the breadcrumb navigation to return to the main portal menu.
Click the URL link to see the Active Scheduler Widget in action. See example below: