Educational Credential Evaluators (ECE®) reviews academic achievements by individuals from other countries and converts them to the U.S. system for purposes of studying or working in the United States. For more information about Educational Credential Evaluators, refer to the ECE website.
ECE can push the credential evaluation documents for applicants directly to your Slate database to minimize processing steps for your staff. Follow the steps below to configure the integration between Slate and ECE.
Credit Evaluation Material Types
All documents imported into Slate must be assigned to a material type. You can use existing material types or create new material types for the evaluation reports in the Materials database tool.
ECE User Account
ECE uses this user account for authentication while pushing the documents to Slate.
- Select Database on the top navigation bar and select Slate Template Library.
- Add the Educational Credential Evaluators (ECE) Service Account in the Users section.
Note: If you do not see this user account, refresh the Slate Template Library resources by selecting the refresh link at the top of the page.
ECE Source Format
This source format is used to import the documents from ECE.
- Select Database on the top navigation bar and select Source Format Library.
- Add the Educational Credential Evaluators (ECE) (DIP) source format.
- Configure the remap settings for the source format.
Note: Many items are pre-mapped, including the Material Filename and Material Code destinations. You can customize any other field mappings, but the material destinations are required to import the documents, so do not change these field mappings.
- On the Value Mappings page, map the Material Code items to the specific material types that your institution will use for the credential evaluation reports.
- Edit the source format to set the Remap Active flag to Active once you are finished mapping. This will run the import using the Remap settings configured above for all files uploaded on or after the Remap As Of Date value.
ECE must configure their systems to automatically send files to your Slate database. To initiate this configuration, follow the steps below.
Note: You must provide ECE with the endpoint for your source format. To find this endpoint, selecting the View link under Web Services on the source format, then select the Certificate-Based Authentication tab.
- Complete the Slate Configuration Request form. This form should include, as a direct point of contact, the person at your institution responsible for downloading evaluation reports and academic documents. Enter the Web Services POST URL (explained above) in the Endpoint URL of Institution's Slate Instance field. Also needed is what type or types of evaluation reports you will accept (Course-by-Course, General, Scholar Profile, etc.) Information on report types and samples can be found here.
- If you do not already have one, create a free ECE Dispatch account here. Dispatch is required for Slate integration, allowing for report status tracking, account management, and communication. Completed evaluation reports and the vetted academic documents are also backed-up in Dispatch for one year.
You can add an unlimited number of users to your Dispatch account, including a general inbox to receive notifications. If you would prefer to have ECE's Institution Support Team set up a Dispatch account on your behalf, email institutionsupport@ECE.org with this request.
- Let your applicants know an ECE report is accepted. The ECE application asks individuals to designate which institutions should receive a copy of their report. Based on this request, a copy is then sent to both your Slate and Dispatch accounts. Since the academic records that ECE evaluates are the property of the individual, they must authorize ECE to send them to you by ordering a report copy. ECE recommends adding language to your website directing applicants to order a copy for your institution, as well as which type of report they should order. Suggested language and the ECE logo are available for download here.