If a data export query is configured to return all records each time the query is run, just run the query for testing purposes:
- Select Run Query to view the query results.
- If the export is configured to run to an SFTP site, click Run to SFTP to manually test that process.
- Select Run to Browser to download a file to a computer.
If a data export query is configured to return only new records each time the query is run, run the query for testing purposes. If satisfied with the testing results, be sure to delete the query run:
- Run the query to open the query results page. Return to the query results at any time by selecting the desired query run, as shown above.
- On the query results page, select Edit Properties, then select Delete Run to remove the query result history.
- Use Search to test the query further. The full text of the results is searchable, so you can quickly locate records with a specific value (for example, "Fall 2017 entry term") or a specific record (such as a test record).
- Since the query was run for testing purposes, removing the run will allow these records to be included in the query again if they still meet the filter criteria.
"Update Only" Exports
Run, Then Activate Queue Exports
When configuring a queue for a data export query (such as only sending records that have been updated), it is critical to follow these steps when going live with a data export:
- Turn off the Queue.
When ready to go live with a data export, remove the Queue setting for the initial data export run.
Make sure that the Queue setting is set to None (default).
- Manually run the data export query.
Running the query manually ensures that the first query run captures all records that currently meet the filter criteria.
- Activate the Queue.
Revisit Edit Properties and configure the queue. Going forward, the data export file will only send updated records.
- Select the correct update queue for your population to avoid erroneous results!
For example, if a Person update queue is selected on an Application population query, only applications where the Person record has been updated will be included. Updated applications where the person has not been updated will not be included.
- When using an update queue, it is necessary to use the Retrieve all records each time the query is run execution option.
- Updated records do not appear in query results immediately when using the Queue options.
- When a record is updated, it is flagged and added to the Deferred Update Queue (as is done with rules).
- When rules run, all records in this queue are added to any Update Queue queries.
- As a result, you may have to wait up to 15 minutes for the updated records to appear in the query results. Please keep this in mind when testing.
Integration consideration: When using this type of export for the SIS, consider changing the Disable Update Queue setting on SIS import source formats to Prevent records from entering update queue upon import. This helps avoid records from being constantly put back in the queue.