The procedures described in this article follow a legacy process. Follow the procedures described in the Workflows article when creating tabs within workflows. Workflows created using the legacy process cannot be managed using the Workflows tool and vice versa.
Reader Tab Groups (tabs) organize application materials within the Reader. When a tab is selected, the associated materials will appear in the Reader.
Configuring the items that display in the Reader is a two step process:
- Create Reader Tab Groups.
- Define the precise materials that appear within each Reader Tab Group.
Associate materials with the Reader Tab Groups.
Remember to make reader tabs first! Reader Tab Groups must be created in order to begin configuring specific materials to display.
Reader Tab Material configurations will vary depending on the type of material to display. To help guide this configuration setup, consider these three questions for each item to display:
Pinpoint the exact item that should appear on a tab. For example, what specific material, reader review form, or interview form should be displayed?
- This will help determine the Type and Source configuration
For data driven items in Slate (e.g., a Slate-hosted application, Slate reader review forms, Slate interview forms), decide if the auto PDF functionality would work or if a custom PDF would be better.
- This will help determine the Template configuration
For materials where an application could potentially have more than one item (e.g., reader review forms), decide if all items should be displayed or if only one or two should be displayed.
- This will help determine the Rank configuration
- Click Database in the top navigation bar and select Reader Tab Materials.
- Click Insert.
- Enter the following user configurations in the popup window:
- Status - Set the status to Active to enable the tab. An Inactive tab will not display.
- Type - Select Materials at this time. See below to learn more about Type options.
- Order - This determines the order that the material will appear on the tab (Multiple materials may be shown on one tab. For example, display Essay 1, Essay 2, and the Personal Statement on a tab called Essays. In this case, configure the order in which these items should appear when the tab is selected).
- Source - Certain Type selections require that a source be specified. For example, when selecting a Material, select the custom material type.
If there are multiple materials appearing on one tab, some of these materials may be displayed conditionally by adding filters. For example, an optional essay is to be displayed with other essays on an Essays tab in Read 1 and Read 2 bins for English program applicants only. In this case, add program and bin filters to the optional essay material.
Note: If all materials on a tab have the same filters (e.g., all materials on the Essays tab should only display in the Read 1 bin), consider adding filters to the Reader Tab Groups instead.
Types that include a Slate Source option:
- Reader Form
- Source Format
- Template - Choose whether the data should appear on a custom mapped PDF or if the auto PDF functionality should be used. Auto PDF functionality is available for items submitted within Slate, including Slate-hosted applications and form registrations. The auto PDF eliminates the need to map custom PDFs, though this is still an option. Types that allow for template include:
- Application/Dashboard (field data)
- Form/Event/Interview (registration data)
- Reader Form (review form data)
- Reader Form (Self) (review form data)
- References (form questions)
- School Reports (form questions)
- School Reports (Forms Only) (form questions)
- Source Format (field data)
- Rank - Select whether if all items from a particular source type or if only certain items should display.
When configuring for a material type Rank #1 is the most recently updated material (e.g., the most recently submitted teacher recommendation will have Rank #1).
When configuring for a reader form or form/event/interview type, Rank #1 is the first submitted reader form/event registration (e.g., the first reader review form submitted will have a Rank #1).
|Application/Dashboard||Standard or custom field data on a custom mapped PDF or auto PDF.||No||Yes||No|
|Comments from Activities/Interactions||List of interactions with comments. Includes only interaction codes that are configured as Show in Reader = Yes in the Activity & Interaction Codes section of the Database page.||No||No||No|
|Cover Page||Legacy feature.||No||No||No|
|Decision Letters||Decision letters of released decisions that are configured as "printable" in the decision codes section of the Database page.||No||No||No|
|Essays (retired)||Legacy feature.||No||No||No|
|External Emails||Emails that were sent outside of Slate and attached to the record using the Email to Slate Gateway.||No||No||No|
Registration data from a specific form, event, or interview. Includes Application Creation forms.
|Form/Event/Scheduler (Other Application)||Registration data from a specific application-scoped form, event, or interview from another application||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Fraud Report||Displays items identified as potentially fraudulent.||No||No||No|
|Inbox Emails||Displays emails from Inbox that have been flagged to appear in Reader.||No||No||No|
|Material||Document saved as a custom material type.||Yes||No||Yes|
|Material (Other Application)||
Display a custom material from another application. For Active Application, select whether the material should be included from all existing applications, or only applications in an active period.
If multiple custom materials types need to be displayed from other applications, a Reader Tab Material must be created for each material type.
|Reader Form||Submitted data from a specified reader review form.||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Reader Form (Self)||Submitted data from a specified reader review form that was submitted by the current user only.||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Report||Cluster Report (Query in the folder "Reader-Reports").||Yes||No||No|
|School Reports||Slate-hosted school report, including uploaded materials and transcripts.||No||Yes||No|
|School Reports (Forms Only)||Slate-hosted school report, excluding uploaded materials and transcripts.||No||Yes||No|
|Source Format||Uploaded data from a specific source format.||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Portfolio: Thumbnails||Thumbnails of Portfolio materials (mainly used for printing and downloading PDFs).||No||No||No|