Schools can make staff assignments based on a variety of criteria (geomarkets, school state, school country, transfer, athletics, etc.). Make sure to generate a complete list of staff assignments prior to setting up any rules that automatically assign staff to students.
You will also want to make sure all staff members have been added as users in Slate since assignments in the Rules Editor will be based on the active user list.
Once a complete set of assignment rules has been listed on index cards, put the cards in the appropriate order.
There are two important factors to understand when ordering:
- A student record can only match with one rule (e.g., one staff member per student record).
- Once a student record matches with a rule (a staff member), that record can no longer match with any other rules.
Therefore, it is critically important that the rules are ranked in order of priority. Determine which rules should take precedence over other rules.
In the example below, if transfer students are assigned to a staff member regardless of the school they attend, the Transfer Students should be first in the order.
If specific schools should always take precedent, even if a record is a transfer student, then specific CEEB codes should be first in the order.
Once index cards are properly ordered, define which staff members are affected by each card:
|#1||Specific CEEB Code|
|#5||Student Home Country|
|#8||Student Home State|
The Staff Assigned field is included in Slate when an instance is provisioned.
If your instance does not have the Staff Assigned field already included, the Staff Assigned field will need to be created.
- Click Database in the top navigation bar and select Fields.
- Click Insert.
- Enter the following Field configurations in the popup window:
- Status- Set the status to Active.
- Scope - Set the scope to Person.
- ID -The ID must be "user".
- Name - Give the field a name. This name will be visible administratively only. It is acceptable to change the name, even if data already exists for the field.
- Prompt - Important: The prompt should be user.
- Value - Important: Value should be Store Value. The user prompt list is special and relies on a value instead of the prompt.
- Multiple -Set this to Single Value.