The "Opt Out" tag in Slate is a special tag that has several complex behaviors that has, on occasion, led to some confusion about its purpose and role. These behaviors have been carefully formulated to provide standardization across all Slate schools.
The tag can be set through any of five ways:
- The student receives a decision that has been set up in the admin tool as a decision that should "opt out" the student. This is routinely used for "terminating" decisions like deny decisions, where further outreach communications with the student should cease. It is often also used for final decisions like "enroll" or "admit/decline", as any further communications with the student at that stage will likely be transactional in nature.
- The tag is manually set by an administrative user on the student record page.
- The tag is manually set by a dataset upload. (This tag is never set by default as part of any standard format.)
- The tag is set by the student selecting to unsubscribe from "all future communications (including postal communications) from this organization" by following an unsubscribe link and selecting this box. If a student selects to unsubscribe from the "emails from the group" option, the tag will not be set.
- Certain email clients (e.g., Yahoo, Gmail) will issue an unsubscribe request if the message is marked as spam, which will in turn cause the tag to be set.
The tag can be unset through any of four ways:
- The student starts an application.
- The student submits a form (such as a request for information form) or an event registration.
- The tag is manually unset on the student record page.
- The tag is manually unset by a dataset upload. (This tag is never unset by default as part of any standard format.)
By default, Slate will exclude students from "Prospects" type queries if the "Opt Out" tag has been set. This is intentional and by design, as this tag is being set because the students have directly requested to discontinue all future communications from the organization, or indirectly because of a change in the relationship with the student (such as the student having been denied).
If the "Opt Out" tag is set and a query is run for "Applications", delivery to addresses that have unsubscribed will be skipped unless the "No Unsubscribe" option is selected. If the "No Unsubscribe" option is selected, the messages will, in fact, be delivered, regardless of the "Opt Out" tag. This is intentional and by design, as the "No Unsubscribe" option should only be used for transactional communications, such as those related to a student's application or as a result of some action that a student has taken.
When a student follows an unsubscribe link and does not select the "All future communications" option, he or she is only unsubscribed from emails sent to that email address where the specified unsubscribe group is selected. This is the default option for students, and students are warned if they select the "All future communications" option, as this may have effects beyond emails.