Share Meeting is a platform within Slate that allows for screen sharing with others after providing either an automatically generated or a predefined 9-digit code.
Share Meeting is built using WebRTC, a free, open project that provides browsers and mobile applications with Real-Time Communications (RTC) capabilities via simple APIs. It is a project supported by Google, Mozilla, and Opera, amongst others.
To initiate Share Meeting:
- Select Database on the top navigation bar and select Share Meeting.
- Select Create to generate a random screen share code, or define a code by entering it into the Code field selecting Connect. If using the screen share for the first time, install the necessary Chrome browser Slate plug-in (a prompt will appear).
- Once the plugin is installed, select the appropriate icon to determine what to share:
- Share Screen: Select this to screen share. In the Share your Screen window, decide what to share. The options include the entire screen or a specific application window. This can be done by both parties (those initiating the share and those on the receiving end of the share). The windows of the share screen can be manually resized by dragging the sides to the desired size.
- Share Audio/Video: Select this to share audio/video. This allows for audio/video communication, and can be shared by both parties (those initiating the share and those on the receiving end of the share).
- Chat: Select this to begin a chat.
- Share Screen, Share Audio/Video, and Chat can be done in tandem.
- Select Share to launch the Share session. Once launched, simply provide others with the link via the Share Link icon.