The legacy Microsoft Outlook Add-In was used when an email was received from a constituent or replied to outside of Slate (i.e. not through Deliver or Inbox) and the email communication needed to be added to the record timeline.
Microsoft does not support Outlook add-ins on a Mac; Mac users will need to use the Email to Slate Gateway.
The Slate Outlook Add-In is a legacy tool and is provided on an as-is basis. Refer to the Troubleshooting Microsoft Outlook Add-In article for a list of common problems and their solutions. For universal support across operating systems and cloud-based email services, use the Email to Slate Gateway alternative (described later in this article).
To add the Microsoft Outlook Add-in, follow the steps below:
- Select Database on the top navigation bar and select the Microsoft Add-in link under the Messages section.
- A dialog appears to show that the application was downloaded. Open the application and follow the prompts to install the add-in (this may take a few minutes to complete).
- Once complete, close and re-open Outlook.
- Open the Add-ins tab in Outlook, and Technolutions Slate will now be listed.
- Select an email to add to a Slate student timeline and then select the Technolutions Slate Add-in.
- A dialog appears to enter the domain of the Slate database. For example, apply.slate.edu.
- The user is asked to log into their Slate account. Important to note: each time Outlook is closed, the domain of the Slate database and log in credentials must be entered.
- Once the log in credentials are confirmed, the dialog provides the following options to associate the email message:
- Allow the user to create a new record by selecting Create Record link
- Search and associate a current record in the Slate database by searching the Record box.
- Offer a suggested existing record in Slate that matches the first name, last name, and email address; select the Relink option to search for another record to associate the message.
- Once the record is assigned, select Add To File.
- A confirmation message appears on the Microsoft Add In dialog.
- The message will be stored in Slate on student record timeline.