This article will offer best practices in building a data entry form to create a new or update an existing organization contacts record and associating this record with an organization record. Once created, review Customizing the Organization Dashboard to learn how to link this form to the organization record.
To create the new record organization contacts form, perform the following steps:
- Select Forms on the top navigation bar.
- Select New Form.
- Enter the following form configurations in the dialog box:
- Page Title: Contains the name of the form.
- Folder: Put forms in folders to keep things organized. Select Other to create a new folder.
- Status: Set to Confirmed/Active.
Skip all other configuration settings for now.
- Select Save.
- Select Edit Form.
- Select Edit Properties.
- Change the Scope of the form to Dataset, then select Organization Contacts from the Dataset list that appears.
- Select Save.
- Remove all of the default form fields from the form.
- Add in any form fields desired when creating a new dataset record, mapping to the organization contacts dataset-scoped fields.
- An unmapped text box form field with Autosuggest set to School Name Search. Under Options, select Required.
- A text box mapped to Parent Key, which is needed to ensure that record is associated with the correct organization. Set Autosuggest to School Key and under Options, select Hidden. Once a school name is selected in the previous form field, this field auto populates with the CEEB of the organization selected.
What is the best practice recommendation for collecting organization contacts addresses?
If the query is built using the organizations contacts query base, it is not necessary to collect the organization contact address on this form. Create a query to return the organization address associated with organization contacts record.
If the organization contact's email address is used as both the email address and the unique for merging field, three fields must exist on the form to store this data correctly and to create a new or match on an existing record upon form submission.
Add a Select List form field mapped to Device > Device - Type. Set the default value to Email Address and under Options, select Hidden.
Add a Text Box form field mapped to Device > Device - Value. Under Options, select Required.
Unique for Merging Field
Add a Text Box form field mapped to the custom email unique for merging field using the Fields > Email mapping. Enter the formula "@sys:device:value" into Calculation Formula, which will copy the value entered in the Device Value form field (eliminating the need to input the email address twice and waiting for the Organization Contact Unique for Merging Rule to run). under Options, select Hidden.
Rather than waiting for the display name rule to run to set the display name field, a form field may be added to set the display name field upon submission of the form. Refer to the Managing Organization Contact Display Name Rule article for more information.Add a text box form field for first name and last name and map appropriately. Add a text box mapped to Record > Name (Display Name). Add the calculation formula of "@sys:field:contact_first + ' ' + @sys:field:contact_last." Under Options, select Read Only or Hidden.
Add this form as the New Record link on the Organization Contact Lookup page. Instructions for this process can be found in the Customizing the New Record Lookup Link article.