To create an entity:
1. Click Database on the Slate navigation bar, and in the Records and Datasets area, select Entities. The Entities summary page appears.
You can use the Search Database feature to locate the desired tool quickly.
3. Configure the entity with the following settings:
- Status: An entity status can be either active or inactive. An active entity will appear in the Form tool as an Entity Widget option and have exports, filters, and joins created in the query tool. An inactive entity will not appear as an Entity Widget option in the Form tool, nor will the database create exports, filters, or joins for the entity.
- Folder: Select an existing folder to organize your entities. If a desired folder does not exist, select Other. An additional field appears for entering the new folder name.
- Name: Provide an appropriate and recognizable name for the entity. This name will appear throughout the database. The entity name is required to create an entity.
- Scope Insert: Selecting a scope for the entity creates the appropriate joins in the query tool. You can scope a single entity to multiple related records. For example, if an entity would be the same for the fund's dataset and constituent records, select the fund dataset and person scopes in the Scope Insert setting.
- Scope: Any scopes selected in the Scope Insert setting will appear in the Scope list. To remove a scope from the list, click the X on the right side of the scope's row. Removing a scope will remove the join from any future query, any already saved queries will have the joined cached to the query.
4. Click Save.
The only required setting for an entity is Name.